Monday, Jan. 9, 2017
Here’s Part Two of the Special Edition WOTT podcast with Apollo Up discussing their recently reissued album, Chariots of Fire.
This final segment with Au covers the second half of the album as well as the release and aftermath from the album. It’s the opposite of a limp funk pastiche.
Many thanks to Ryan Ervin for hosting the band and Jeremy Ferguson for lending his studio Battle Tapes to record it.
yewknee · Monday, Jan. 9th, 2017 at 8:09am
Wednesday, Jan. 4, 2017
Trying something a little different with this edition of the podcast. I invited the members of Apollo Up to sit down and discuss the writing, recording and aftermath behind their recently re-issued album, Chariots of Fire.
Full disclosure, my label yk records released the new vinyl edition of the record so I’m clearly biased in terms of interest levels around this kind of discussion. Regardless, I hope to expand this kind of talk to other bands outside of my own sphere.
This is part one of two, wherein the band discusses the recording of the album and breaks down each song on Side A. Many thanks to Ryan Ervin for hosting the band and Jeremy Ferguson for lending his studio Battle Tapes to record it.
Volume 81: Apollo Up (Part 1) [ 1:04:34 ] Download Volume 81: Apollo Up (Part 1) [ 1:04:34 ] Download
yewknee · Wednesday, Jan. 4th, 2017 at 11:43am
Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2016
In lieu of a Best Of podcast, I wanted to commemorate the 80th volume of the podcast with a guest curator; an undertaking there will be plenty more of in the future. So, I invited Olivia Scibelli to curate the entirety of the episodes programming. Olivia is best known for her work in Fancy Tramp, Idle Bloom and Husband Stitch, not to mention her involvement in various undertakings like Tennessee Rock Camp. Her work is often explosive and visceral (some bands more than others) but manages to maintain a level of accessibility.
Her selections are a great peek inside a world of Nashville music that I, personally, was not very familiar with. From the growling Devaga Bike to the barking Chunk to the gentle Lawndry, there’s a bit of everything in here.
Many thanks to Olivia for putting this together and allowing We Own This Town to feature a lot of artists we’ve missed previously.
- Husband Stitch – Yourself, Under the Microscope
- Negra – Want It
- Devaga Bike – Horny Math
- Watcher – Chunk
- Lean – Blooming
- Lawndry – Naomi
- Sallow – Erase You
- Modern Convenience – Fuck Off
- Soccer Mommy – 3 am at a party
- Gnarwhal – Have Fun Tomorrow From Ozzy_Stella
yewknee · Wednesday, Dec. 14th, 2016 at 6:00am
Wednesday, Nov. 23, 2016
Give Thanks! Nashville continues to have an absolutely thriving scene of music. This 30 minute mix scratches the surface of a few recent releases but there’s plenty more goodness to come. Can’t Stop. Won’t Stop.
- New Man – Maybe I’m Feeling Fine
- Savoy Motel – Souvenir Shop Rock
- Lister Brothers – Another Game to Play
- Bravemaker – Getting Numb
- Jay Leo Phillips – Your Ship
- GAY VIBES – W E M E L T (ft. Leticia Wolf)
- Wildfront – Stay in One Place
- Goth Babe – Dazed
- ELEL – Automatic
- Ducko McFli – RoofTop
yewknee · Wednesday, Nov. 23rd, 2016 at 8:10am
Sunday, Nov. 6, 2016
An eclectic gathering of new(ish) music from the Nashville area. I’m extremely happy of how varied and genre spanning ole “Country Music USA” can actually get. This 30 minute set literally jumps from hip-hop to indie rock to dystopian electronic music to country music and metal. There was a time when no one would have ever expected that from us.
- BRiLeY – The Search
- BRiLeY – Rare Love
- PANGS – Cannonball (Breeders)
- Rainbow Cannons – Rainbow Cannons
- Makeup and Vanity Set – Great Leader Has Fallen
- Quichenight – Theme from Camille’s Market
- William Tyler – Gone Clear
- Sugar Skulls – gini rising
- Howling Giant – Dirtmouth
yewknee · Sunday, Nov. 6th, 2016 at 12:02pm
Wednesday, Jul. 20, 2016
I hope you like the rock music because this one is bubbling over with it. All sorts of rock music! Psychedelic rock! Surf rock! 90’s Rock! Thick Riff Rock! Rock Grown From Emo Roots! Oh, and a bit of diversity with the mesmerizing looping of CASA and the glitchy fun of Real Yawny.
- Penicillin Baby – Working Man
- Adia Victoria – Dead Eyes
- VampTones – Black Shadow
- Meter – All Of Trump-Kind
- The By Gods – Phone Calls
- Anchor Thieves – Mermice
- Tower Defense – Glyphs
- Happy Little Trees – My Rings Show My Age
- Rales – Write Off
- CASA – Fogpuncher
- Real Yawny – Oh
yewknee · Wednesday, Jul. 20th, 2016 at 9:00am
Tuesday, Jul. 5, 2016
The purpose of the We Own This Town podcast is to create a living historical document of Nashville music. When I slack on publishing new editions, some music may fall through the cracks. This can not be! So, I’m kicking myself in the ass to catch up and make sure that all of the great releases coming out of our fine town can be properly enjoyed now and revisited later.
- repeat repeat – Plugged In
- Music Band – Green Lights
- Tower Defense – History
- Paulson – Six Months in a Leaky Boat (Split Enz)
- Bravemaker – 1234567
- Lees of Memory – Soft Places (33 1/3 rpm)
- Regatta – Finale
- Kristoff Waltz – Virginia, 1923
- Okey Dokey -Wavy Gravy
- Nobility – Heart Is Strange
- Success Factors – ナイトライフ
- RIFFT – The Two That Became None
yewknee · Tuesday, Jul. 5th, 2016 at 8:55am
Wednesday, Jun. 15, 2016
75 episodes of this podcast. That seems like a lot so I’m taking a moment to reflect back on some of the artists of the days of yore. You know, early 2000’s-ish. It’s a throwback episode! Everyone loves a bit of nostaliga.
- Character – Theme From “Starkweather”
- Duraluxe – Phantom Power
- Forget Cassettes – Bruce Wayne
- Whole Fantastic World – Beets For Bombs
- Hotpipes – A Brain And A Vegetable
- The Features – 33.3
- The Mattoid – Easy Livin’
- Lone Official – Le Coq Sportif
- De Novo Dahl – Be Your Man
- The Clutters – Rock And Roll
- The Privates – If I Should Call Your Name
yewknee · Wednesday, Jun. 15th, 2016 at 8:41am
Wednesday, Feb. 3, 2016
Fun fact, the release of Volume 74 of the podcast coincides with the day of my birth. This is my gift to you. Okay, it’s actually 30+ minutes of Nashville musicians collective gifts to you because it wouldn’t exist without them. The following is culled from very recent releases or slightly upcoming releases. For all the (legitimate) complaints about #NewNashville, there’s still a shining beacon of greatness in the music.
- Daddy Issues – Drop Out
- Butthole – She Boop She Boo Thang
- The By Gods – The Stairs
- Anchor Thieves – Isn’t Anything
- Dave Paulson – Beep Bop Beep
- Brooke Waggoner – Ovenbird
- Lionlimb – Domino
- The Nobility – On the Sly
- UZi – Uh Huh
- Goth Babe – Bummed Out
yewknee · Wednesday, Feb. 3rd, 2016 at 6:00am
Sunday, Jan. 24, 2016
Despite my best efforts to slow it down, 2016 is hurdling along. This edition of the podcast is comprised of many great releases from the end of 2015. After this, I should be able to keep up with actual new releases. Regardless, you probably missed these at the end of the year so take some time to properly reflect on them now.
- Johnny Flame and the Jaws of Victory – Where The Sun Never Shines (11-5-15)
- ONLY Giant Sunflowers
- Bootleg Glory – Young Ambition
- Idle Bloom – Some Paranoia
- SLACK – Over The Threshold
- JEFF the Brotherhood – Deep Space Bound On The Edge Of Reality
- BLK PWR – B▲D ЯØM▲NC∃
- Linear Downfall – The Question
- PUJOL – Funky Magus
- German Error Message – Everything is scary
yewknee · Sunday, Jan. 24th, 2016 at 8:05pm